Cristiana Carusi is a mother and education advocate who works tirelessly for better public schools. Her kids have attended Madison Metropolitan School District schools since 2007.
Cris has dedicated her life to public service, both through her career at UW-Madison and her leadership in our community.
She is a progressive leader who has attended school board meetings for more than a decade, knows the issues, and is ready to hit the ground running as a school board member. She will bring all voices to the table to ensure that all children in our community go to vibrant public schools.
Cris’s leadership and personal experience include:
- MMSD parent for 12 years with children at Memorial High School
- Manages complex budgets and programs as Associate Director of Communications at the UW-Madison Center for Integrated Agricultural Systems, and as the former executive director of a nonprofit organization promoting sustainable and organic agriculture
- Organizes grassroots advocacy for our public schools as co-founder of Madison SCAPE (School Community Alliance for Public Education)
- Active participant in the Westside PTO/East Attendance Area PTO Coalition
- Parent leadership roles in MMSD schools include PTO fundraising, tutoring, classroom support, outdoor education and farm to school
- Mentors youth in our community as a Girl Scout leader and former track coach
- Supports local arts as stage manager for the MadFiddle youth fiddle ensemble and as a former volunteer lighting designer and technician with Strollers Theatre
- Member of MMSD Guiding Coalition on Equitable and Restorative School Discipline
- Built cross-cultural bridges as a Peace Corps Volunteer in Nepal
- Board leadership experience as former treasurer of the Wisconsin Cooperative Housing Association